Monday, December 17, 2012

Making Good Resolutions


Today as I was enjoying the thoughts of yesterday's trip with the Grandkids to Rockwood's "Parade of Lights" there was a new resolution made. Recognize what should not be changed. Who after all would want to change the spontaneous hug of a two year old as he whispers "I wove you Gwampa". Who wants to change the imaginary dragon nipping at all of us? Why change the obvious highlight of the event expressed by my granddaughter, "Santa ran over the horse poop". Life is like that. Horse poop is funny.  

There is a need for me to resolve to change but no need for it to be some statement made on a specific day. This year there have been enough necessary changes. It is likely this is true of all of us.  Improvements made around the house, more help being offered in regular household chores, changes made in business and even changes in personal habits. These were conscious choices many have made this year.  Budgets get changed, income changes and family dynamics change and all these demand a resolution to cope and adopt. Good people change, they cope, and they resolve and overcome. They fight, often without really knowing what it is they are fighting for.  

In starting this blog I rhetorically resolved to finish it. Douglas interrupted me.  In many ways the story of my life is that "I" have been interrupted.  This is great. It fits with my past goal of relishing hiccups in plans. It is wisdom to understand that the "I" that I strive for is best reflected in the mirror of interruptions. Interruptions by a beautiful wife, wonderful kids, customers, friends and strangers. This wisdom is only half of it though. The other half is that all the above people have graciously allowed me to be an interruption in their life.  Good decision, I loved the break in my day Douglas created, loved learning more about Cerebral Palsy and was fine with having to write this now; which is later than I had hoped.


My business involves discussing changes in a garden.  This consulting process demands a lengthy conversation on what is good about the existing yard. In fact it is my job to point out good things that they missed.  If there is no recognition of strength in the current garden they will likely be disappointed in the creation they hope to make.  Personally, though this likely hurts sales, it is necessary to warn people about the amount of time and money a new garden will cost them. If one has never weeded in the past there is little hope that they are going to weed in the future. New sod takes hours and hours of watering. If you dream of a Ferrari you need to be able to afford the insurance and the maintenance. Better to let us "garden" a change over time than landscape an immediate change.


Attached is one of my favourite poems on change that I sent to a customer who was going through many changes. Reflect a bit on your changes and resolve to joy and the source of this joy. It is not always fun but Jesus loves you.

 

God's Garden Tour
 
December 5th, 2011
 
I always know when He is there
Coming unbidden to my garden
I cringe at the state of my weeds
My best plants are not in bloom
Yet he comes and walks with me
 
He rests and quietly soaks in
All that has always been His garden
He stirs up the fragrance of me
Reminds me how much I am loved
Refresh’s like dew on Roses
 
He plants some exotic flowers
I have no ability to tend
He overwhelms me with presence
I have no capacity to hold
A kiss of the Son through shade

1 comment:

  1. Good Story told in a great way sir. Liked the writing very much.

    ReplyDelete